Growing up, my mom used to make the most delicious lunches for my brother and me to take to school. One of my favorites that lasted into my adulthood was a bread-free take on a chicken-salad sandwich (she was so ahead of her time!). Because we’re from California and put avocado on everything and everything on avocado, this lunch was no exception — it’s an avocado stuffed with chicken salad.
I took a healthier approach to this one by removing the mayo and swapping it for some nonfat Greek yogurt. With a squeeze of lemon juice and the seasoning of your choice, you’ve got one of the most satiating lunches you can make. You can spice it up with red pepper flakes or make it heartier with sliced celery and walnuts. This supersimple meal is packed with fiber, healthy and filling fats, and muscle-fueling protein.
My favorite part about this healthy lunch is that it’s so easy to meal prep on Sundays (or whenever that day of the week comes for you). You can mix up your batch of shredded chicken, yogurt, lemon, and seasoning, and store it in Tupperware, portioning out small bits at a time during the week; it’s just a matter of mixing and storing. It’s also a great way to use your avocados before they over-ripen.
You can make the chicken-salad portion in larger batches and refrigerate it to have lunch all week long.
- 6 ounces canned chicken, packed in water (alternatively, you can use shredded chicken breast)
- 1 tablespoon nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 ripe avocado
- Open and drain canned chicken and put into a mixing bowl with Greek yogurt. Break up the pieces and stir with a fork.
- Add in a squeeze of lemon juice to taste, typically about 1/4 of a medium-size lemon. Add salt, pepper, and any additional seasoning to taste.
- Cut avocado in half, remove pit, and spoon half of the chicken mixture into the center of the avocado. Enjoy immediately.
Store the remaining chicken in a container, and cover the second avocado half with saran wrap.
- Main Dishes
- North American
- Cook Time
- 5 minutes
- Calories per serving
POPSUGAR, the #1 independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.